Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Miami Heat all-you-can-eat, Sweet Corn Fiesta smack talk, 8k run

This last weekend was quite a busy weekend. It started off when I got the call from Dave Hyde from the Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinal. He invited me to go to the Miami Heat basketball game and partake in the all-you-can-eat ticket at the stadium. Like any invitation to have all-you-can-eat I gladly accepted. I hoped in the car and drove down to Miami. Unfortunately I didn't make it until half-time and found out that Joe Larue had been there the whole game and had already put down 12 or 16 Nathan's Hot Dogs. After greeting Dave and Joe I got to work (aka started eating). After eating only 9 Nathan's the literally shut the metal grating and closed the AYCE counter. At this point there was still more than 11 minutes left in the third quarter. In order to find more Nathan's I went down one level to another food counter. Since the one and only AYCE counter had shut down I had to talk the workers at this counter to let me get some food. After I explained that I was one of the participants in the Nathan's Hot Dog contest they gave me their remaining Nathan's dogs. They only had 4 jumbo Nathan's remaining, but I was glad to accept them. It was a great experience and my first Miami Heat game, so I thoroughly enjoyed it and would do it again. It was also a great time to talk smack with Joe LaRue about the upcoming Sweet Corn contest in West Palm Beach April 27 at the 8th Annual Sweet Corn Fiesta in Yesteryear Village at the South Florida Fairgrounds. He and I will have our work cut out for us going head to head to head against Crazy Legs Conti, the defending Sweet Corn World Champion. To read the actual Sun-Sentinel article you can click on my link.
As soon as the game was over Friday night I jumped back in the car and drove myself back to Jacksonville. I made it home by about 4am slept for about one and a half hours, woke up, got dressed, and drove over to Orange Park to run my 8k race. Although I was exausted I had plenty of Nathan's Hot Dogs in my belly to give me energy. I ended up having a pretty good run too. I was aiming to improve my 8k pace and finish in 38:00, but I ended up doing it in 36:11. I figure that as long as the pace keeps improving little by little I will do OK in my marathon. After my race I drove to downtown Jacksonville to play soccer with a group from church and elsewhere that meets every Saturday. I played for 2 hours, went to my favorite mexican buffet with the guys, and then went home and slept for about 12 hours. The next morning I woke up early and helped lead music and sang at both early and late service. It was an amazing weekend!
Today I have my long run. I have scheduled out my marathon training to have my long runs on Wednesday. This way it doesn't interfere with soccer on Saturday or church on Sunday. Anyhow, today is going to straight up suck. I have to run 14 miles back and forth this bridge that is right outside the office. I know it sounds rediculous, but I just signed up for the Grandfather Mountain Marathon in NC. Since the marathon will be in the mountains I figured I better train on bridges only. Last week I did 12 miles back and forth the bridge and it wasn't too dificult. It is actually very relaxing and peacful looking over the St. John's river during sunset. Plus I have a great view of The Landing when I run over the bridge. This is where the Jacksonville Krystal qualifier is held, so it gives me motivation to know that hard work will pay off.
On top of all this Patrick called me to tell me how his Acme Oyster Eating Contest went and also informed me that the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest schedule had been announced! What more could I ask for? Eating season is beginning!

6 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're my inspiration, Hall! Keep up the amazing work!

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger HungrySisters said...

Great job Hall!
Our dad did the Grandfather Mtn run a few years back and said it was one of the hardest things he's ever done in his life but he loved it nonetheless
:-)

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Hall "Hoover" Hunt said...

Thanks Jill, Jamie, and Sadie.
Jamie/Sadie, your dad really did the Grandfather Mtn run? That is awesome. I have read a lot about it and it seems very challenging. I have done three marathons, but never one in the mountains. I think the scenery will be beautiful on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Right now I am running back and forth across bridges to train for the race. I figure that is the only way I can come close to being prepared for the mountains. Is your dad a big runner? I could use any special pointers on things I might need to know before running a marathon in the mountains.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger HungrySisters said...

I was mistaken, he actually did "The Bear" run (5 miles straight up to the top of Grandfather's Mtn) a year or two ago, but his friends have done the marathon and said it is a lot of ups and downs...obviously haha...but the scenery makes it worthwhile. He hasn't done a full marathon yet but he's some shorter length runs around the NC mountains.

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just FYI...The 9th Annual Sweet Corn Fiesta is Sunday, April 26th 2009 from 11:00 A.M. and 5:00 P.M.

The annual Sweet Corn Fiesta is a celebration of the sweet corn growing season buttered with a family festival of children’s games, music, a national eating competition (you) and, oh yes, mouth-watering and locally grown sweet corn.

Hope to see you here!!!

 
At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home